These steps will guide you in case you recently changed a password in Active Directory of an account that is used by SharePoint 2010 and you notice that your services are not working anymore.
For example, my search service stopped working:
“The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service.”
- Log in to the SharePoint 2010 Central Administration
- Under “System Settings” go to “Manage services on server”.
Here you will find services that have stopped, because the password is wrong.
- If you try to start a service it is possible that you will receive a message that it doesn’t work, because the passwords are different.
It is easy to fix this. Start the SharePoint 2010 Management Shell. Type in this command:
It will ask for your identity (= username) and it will ask for the password of that account.
More information can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607617(v=office.14).aspx
If you receive an error similar to
"Set-SPManagedAccount : Microsoft.SharePoint is not supported with version 4. of the Microsoft .Net Runtime. ..."
after entering the command. You might receive this message after installing recent Windows Updates.
- Go to the Windows start menu
- in the “Search programs and files” textbox from the Windows start menu search for SharePoint
- right mouse click on the “SharePoint 2010 Management Shell” and select “Properties”
- In the Target input box change this:
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -NoExit " & ' C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\CONFIG\POWERSHELL\Registration\\sharepoint.ps1 ' "
to (add -v 2 or -version 2)
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -v 2 -NoExit " & ' C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\CONFIG\POWERSHELL\Registration\\sharepoint.ps1 ' "
Now your SharePoint will start with another powershell version.
After changing your password you can go back to the SharePoint 2010 Central Adminitration and start your services with the new password (it is possible that you will have to enter your password again when starting the SharePoint service).